The Chatham Historical Society is dedicated to preserving, promoting, and sharing knowledge about our community's extraordinarily rich but not always evident history. This site intends to provide information to the public about the Chatham Historical Society's activities and programs and the changing content of exhibits on display in the Society's 1840 one- room school house and newly opened museum, both located on Bevin Boulevard in East Hampton CT's historic Village Center.
History of Chatham
The Land that comprises East Hampton was originally granted by the General Assembly to Middletown in 1662. Chatham was granted township in 1767. The name Chatham came from a shipbuilding town in England and many early settlers came from Chatham, Cap Cod, wich further influenced the naming of the town.
Chatham encompassed Middle Haddam, a stretch of land along the Connecticut River; Cobalt, a section of land centering around Route 66 and Depot hill Road; as well as a large portion of land encircling Lake Pocotopaug.
It was not until 1915 that Chatham became East Hampton.
The Chatham Historical Society
Established in 1963, the Chatham Historical Society is a nonprofit organization with the purpose of bringing together people interested in the history of East Hampton, Cobalt, and Middle Haddam. The Society operates a museum and schoolhouse to help visitors take a step back in time.
The 1840 Schoolhouse
The one room schoolhouse was moved from Old Chestnut Hill Road and is now on Bevin Boulevard. This schoolhouse and museum property were donated to the Society by Lorraine and Chauncey Bevin.
The Chatham Historical Society's museum complex is open to the public on the first Sunday of each month from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. or by special arrangement.
Highlights of the displays at the Museum include:
- The history of bell making in East Hampton
- A part of the original village center post office, circa 1820
- Photographs & memorabilia of East Hampton, plus much more
Events & More
We also sponsor:
Annual Antique Appraisal Day, Old School Day where students from Center School attend class in the schoolhouse, a calendar featuring historical attractions, speakers, field trips, and more.